- There are four main approaches to developing software#
- You need to indicate which approach you will use
- For most students it will be a bespoke approach as you are creating a prototype
- State in one sentence which approach your project will use and why
- The research project will create a bespoke artefact because….
- Bespoke or custom made software is designed and built for a specific reason, for example to control a nuclear power plant.
- They require highly skilled designers and programmers making it expensive.
- However, the software is extremely efficient and can save the company lots of money.
- This refers to both general purpose and specific purpose software
- Off-the-shelve software is relatively cheap to purchase and for most members of the general public it does everything they want.
- For some people it can be restrictive but there is usually technical support available.
Open Source Software
- Open source software is written by programmers who make the code available for people to improve and provide feedback (collaborative) which improves the quality of the product.
- However, this approach allows people to incorporate unwanted programs such as spyware and viruses.
- Propriety software is written by developers who allow people to use it under certain restrictions such as preventing access to the source code.
- This is often used to allow people to try the software with reduce functionality, promoting the user to purchase the full version.
- Again this type of software may contain coding which my threaten your system, such as spyware and viruses