RAF Cosford (Audax, DIY, 100km)

Not Validated Due To Covid 19

This would make a great training route as it is for the most part flat with long straight sections separated by small villages and towns.

Arriving home at 3pm, the sun was out and there was a gentle breeze, so I opted for a quick spin on the bike. I had initially thought about doing my 20-mile route around the home but by the time I reached the top of the hill, I decided that I fancy a longer stretch the legs. I headed for Stone with no real route in mind accept to head towards Eccleshall. On my way through Cold Norton, I remembered that I plotted a 70-mile ride to RAF Cosford which turned off at Bridgnorth and followed the road down to Codsall before turning for RAF Cosford and then a 90 degree back to Bridgnorth and home.

As I was thinking about which route to do, I had my second monsoon downpour, since I was already wet from the first one I just stood under the tree and waited for the rain to die down. The section from Bridgnorth to Church Eaton was flat but the gentle breeze turned into a robust wind that was being funneled down the road by the hedgerows on either side. The first milestone was St Editha’s Church at Church Eaton which stood at the tip of a triangle, the church was quite quaint for a small village. Overall, the roads in this section are in reasonably good repair but there can be a lot of farmer debris on the road.

From Church Eaton the next section took me to Codsall like the previous section this is mainly flat roads with good roads surfaces, but the wind was making it hard work. I had a quick stop at Saint Mary the Virgin and Saint Chad in Brewood where the locals watched me take photos! From was the long gentle climb up Port Lane which took me into Codsall. I did not stop as I knew I was only a few miles from RAF Cosford. As I cycled along the high street (Albrighton) I came across Saint Mary Magdalene church, so I pulled over for a photo which annoyed the OAP driving at 20mph and who I overtook a few miles back.

Arriving at RAF Cosford museum, the gates were open, but the sign was clear… CLOSED. So, I stopped just inside the gate and took a few photos of the Hawker Hunter F6 XG225, had an energy gel and texted the wife to let her know that I would be late for tea!

The route back is more of the same, except that there are a few short but steep climbs and the long ascent up to Bishop’s Wood. After these climbs, the roads are mainly flat with good tarmac, but there are a few sections which are used by farm equipment or where the water pools and deposits sand and stones. The journey back did not offer as many photo opportunities and I was glad when I arrived a Bridge North as it was 14-miles from home. I was also feeling tired as I had not stopped for a coffee break. Stone town was very quiet, and I had the road to myself all the way through town. I stopped on the outskirts of Stone to text the wife that I was about to start the 5-mile climb home so that she could put the kettle on!